The CHI Software team is not standing still. We love our job and give it one hundred percent of us! Every new project is a challenge that we face successfully. The only thing that can stop us is… Wait, it’s nothing! The number of projects is growing, and with them, our team too. And now we need Scala Developer
Our client is a UK-based IT integration company specializing in Open Source integration technologies.
As part of the client’s Data Platform the software engineering team’s mission is to derive insights from scientific papers using machine learning (ML) and natural language processing (NLP). These insights are used in customer-facing applications which enables them to be more productive and successful in their work.
As a Software Engineer you will develop innovative new systems using cutting edge technology, and partnering with Data Scientists – machine learning (ML) and natural language processing (NLP) experts.
You will be:
● Building foundational data platform services at the intersection of infrastructure and data processing on AWS.
● Building engineering convenience systems, tooling and libraries to help make everyone go fast.
● Automating everything we can so other teams don’t have to.
● Collaborating on new ideas for optimizing both systems and engineering workflows so that experiments are cheap and fast.
● Building relationships with other engineering teams to identify their pain points and come up with ideas to solve those – we are self-organized and drive things ourselves. Drive and passion are welcome here.
● Moving across the stack – from development to infrastructure, we have a varied list and we touch it all. Scala, Python and Go on the language side (you need one, but not all of these, just an interest to learn them as needed), Terraform for AWS, Jenkins and Spinnaker for CI/CD, Docker and Kubernetes to run our (and other engineers’) services.
● You know how to design distributed systems that scale, in the cloud. We use AWS but are happy if you have experience with either GCP or Azure instead.
● You have previous experience in at least one of Scala, Python or Go, and are interested in picking up the others.
● You have packaged software using Docker. Bonus points if you’ve used Kubernetes before.
● Experience with CI/CD and infrastructure as code.
● You view devops as a mindset, not a role. We work under the motto “we write it, we run it” and are happy to roll our sleeves up and get stuck in infrastructure work. So do you.
● You have a passion for creating high quality, testable code. We write and design our own tests. Things we don’t test, we measure, and if there are problems we go in, investigate them and fix them.
● You leave your ego at the door. We like pairing with and learning from each other and we make decisions together as a team. Great ideas can – and do – come from anywhere and anyone.